Monday, June 2, 2008

Gross is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose



So I walked into the kitchen this weekend to find this little scene:

Ginger: What are you working on? (she says eyeing the contents of the table and trying not to sound disgusted)
Zeal: I'm making a snack.
Ginger: Oh. What's your snack?
Zeal: It's a sandwich. I couldn't find any cucumbers, so it's just bread, bananas, jam, and cheese.
Ginger: Have you had a sandwich like that before somewhere?
Zeal: Nope.
Ginger: How did you get the idea for it?
Zeal: It just popped into my head.
Ginger: Now you're going to pop it into your mouth?
Zeal: Exactly!

He ate the whole thing!

And then came back to me:
Zeal: Can you make sure you get me some cucumbers for next time?
Ginger: Put it on the list.

Oh the sometimes surprising joy of letting kids "think outside" - the things they come up with.
Someday this kid is gonna stumble upon a combination that will truly wow us all.

No comments:

Welcome! Here you will find simple recipes, inspiring ideas, personal stories, inspiration, and tools to experiment and explore the kitchen together.  So enter the family kitchen with absolute abandon, and begin your journey towards thinking outside the recipe!